1 cup walnuts
4 cups filtered water
5 to 6 pitted Medjool dates
1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or natural vanilla extract
Pinch sea salt flakes
- Put the walnuts into a large bowl, cover with water – by around 3 cm – cover and leave to soak for around twelve hours, changing the water regularly.
- Drain and pour into a powerful blender, add three cups of water and blend on slow, gradually increasing speed to high (I always blend in 30 second bursts). Add remaining water, to taste. If you like a thinner milk, add up to half a cup more filtered water.
- Strain through a muslin lined sieve (or nut bag if preferred), squeeze all the liquid out, I strain at least twice.
- Return to the blender, add remaining ingredients and process until smooth – again, I begin on low and increase the speed to medium.
- Pour into a sterilised bottle or jar, seal and store in the fridge for up to three days.